ADULT ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. An increasing number of adults are become health conscious but more and more individuals want to feel better about their appearance, too.
REASONS FOR ADULT ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
- malocclusion (bad bite) causing teeth to meet incorrectly
- crowding or spacing, leading to tooth decay & gum disease
- abnormal jaw pressure/pain or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- desire for a healthier mouth & a more confident smile
ADULT ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT OPTIONS
For most adults, the idea of metal braces is enough to discourage them from treatment. Today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetically pleasing and customized to your unique needs:
- clear braces
- ceramic braces
- self-ligating braces
- lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- invisible braces
- traditional metal braces
ADULT ORTHODONTICS VS. CHILD ORTHODONTICS
The primary difference between treating adults and treating children/teens is the jaw. Younger patients’ bones are still developing whereas adult bones have stopped growing, often necessitating dental surgery.
- Periodontal Disease, gum recession and bone loss due to gingivitis are problems most often experienced by adults. Patients with straight teeth are much less likely to experience these issues.
- Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into positions that necessitate orthodontic care. Missing teeth often cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the chances of gum disease.
- Many adults received some form of orthodontic treatment as a child but never completed their treatment. Later in life, they may choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
At Clear Advantage Orthodontics, we recognize that adults and children have different orthodontic requirements. That’s why we work with you to ensure that the appropriate treatments are being employed to meet your specific needs.
REASONS FOR ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
Straight teeth are healthy teeth. They’re easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, which helps prevent other health problems. Beautiful smiles build confidence. Orthodontic treatment boosts confidence and builds a higher quality of life. Mouths left untreated get worse! Ignoring orthodontic treatment when it’s needed creates long-term health issues.