Ask parents what their biggest fear is when their child is playing sports, most will say injuries. But according to the American Association of Orthodontists, 67% of parents say their child doesn’t wear a mouth guard. Now that spring has arrived and everyone is excited to take sports outdoors, it’s time to remind you about protecting your face and teeth.
Many facial sports injuries can be prevented by wearing a properly-fitted mouth guard. They can prevent broken or chipped teeth, cheek and lip injuries, jaw fractures, mouth lacerations and even concussions. Your child’s jaw is still growing and last year’s mouth guard may no longer fit properly. Call us at Clear Advantage Dental & Orthodontic Clinic to get a new custom fit mouth guard.
Tips for preventing injuries include:
- Wear a mouth guard for contact sports
- Wear a helmet
- Stretch before and after your activity
- Use protective eye wear
- Be observant and stay alert – this goes for spectators too
For those wearing braces, avoid mouth guards that mold to your teeth. Your treatment is designed to move and adjust your teeth. Wearing improper mouth guards will hinder your teeth from moving according to plan.
Our custom fit mouth guards have these benefits:
- Provide you with the most protection and comfort
- Cover all teeth and absorb shock to your jaws
- Do not interfere with speech or breathing
- Adjustable for all types of sports
Give us a call if you have any questions about mouth guards or your treatment!